Below is information on some important disputes in our region (and beyond) and details of how you can support our members taking action. Solidarity can make a massive difference to our members and can help them win.
1. Kirklees College UCU strike against job losses and cuts to staff pay and conditions
· Read about this dispute here: http://www.ucu.org.uk/6640
· Visit the picket lines if you can at the New North Road site in Huddersfield only, from 8am on Thursday 20 June.
· Put messages of support on the blog: http://kcucu.com/
· Messages of support can also be sent to Sharon Archer: SArcher@kirkleescollege.ac.uk
· Take a strike fund collection. Cheques can be made payable to Kirklees College UCU
2. Chesterfield College strike against the threat of 70 compulsory redundancies
Chesterfield UCU and NASUWT members at the college are due to take two days of strike action this week on Tuesday 18 and Thursday 20 June.
· Attached is a collection sheet for the dispute.
· Please sign the petition https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/principal-and-governors-of-chesterfield-college-withdraw-the-threat-of-70-compulsory-redundancies-at-the-college-3?utm_campaign=share_button_chat&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition
· Send a message of support to: email@example.com
· Use the attached collection sheet at branch meetings and to take around your institution to raise money.
3. Grimsby Institute vote for strike action
UCU members at Grimsby Institute have voted unanimously in support of action short of a strike and 96% of members voted for strike action in their dispute over job losses and cuts to staff pay and conditions. There is a branch meeting on Tuesday 18 June to decide next steps. The college is using national funding cuts as an excuse to axe one in five teaching staff, rip up workload agreements, slash staff pay and ride roughshod over employment rights.
Regional Secretary, Yorks & Humber UCU